Thursday, July 30, 2020

First entry in new blog format! It's warm Oop North now....


When I visited Cresswell Pond on Sunday I was able to take this picture that would have caused quite a stir until very recently.

Avocets did not breed this far north until 2011 - and then not very successfully.  Here there are 4 juveniles on show. Little Egrets were an occasional vagrant but are now regularly seen - in fact 16 were counted at this location this year. I've seen them throughout the North East and photographed this one at RSPB, Saltholme...


Their cousins the Great White Egret are now seen more regularly too.  My best photographic opportunity with one was in India...



A Cattle Egret has been reported at Cresswell too.  I haven't managed to track it down as yet.  This small egret is usually found (believe it or not!) around cattle - as was this one in India...


The Squacco Heron is a much rarer visitor altogether.  But this stunning bird was very common on the Danube Delta when we visited Romania...


Of course our most common bird in this family is the ubiquitous Grey Heron, often seen standing sentinel waiting for lunch to swim by...



And lastly, those Avocets again - this time with a Curlew, the symbol of the Northumberland National Park.



A wide range of my photographs can be found on my website: www.pontartphotos.co.uk


Comments on this new format and ease of finding this blog gratefully received...

1 comment:

  1. I found this thanks to the link on the old site. Some lovely pix as usual x

    ReplyDelete